Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Technical High School & Old City Hall

 
 
Technical High School & Old City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. Technical High School & Old City Hall Marker
Inscription. Erected in 1910 and designed by noted Harrisburg architect Charles Howard Lloyd, this building served as the main boy's high school of the City of Harrisburg. Known as the Technical High School, the building replaced, on the same site, the Lancasterian School, later known as the DeWitt School, which was the oldest public school in Harrisburg having opened in 1830. "Old Tech" graduated many of Harrisburg's finest citizens who went on to form the "Tech Golden Legion" of devoted alumni. the building's use as a school ended in the mid 1920's when John Harris and William Penn High Schools were completed at the eastern and northern ends of the City respectively. "Old Tech" was subsequently sold to the City of Harrisburg for conversion to the first City Hall. Prior to that time, the City's offices were located in several buildings downtown and never under one roof. City Hall, with its marble-clad hallways and grand stairs, served city government until 1982 when the present City Government Center on Market Square was completed. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places and designed in the English Collegiate style, the building is preserved and continues to serve through its third generation use as the stylish Old City Hall apartments.
Top Photo
Pre-1904 view of the old Dewitt School, with Aberdeen Street at right, which
Old City Hall Apartments image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. Old City Hall Apartments
was replaced by the Technical High School.
Bottom Photo
1923 view of the Technical High School with former buildings in foreground recently cleaned for the expansion of the Capitol Complex.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 15.805′ N, 76° 52.857′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Street and Commonwealth Ave., on the left when traveling east on Walnut Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Underground Railroad (a few steps from this marker); Trailblazers (a few steps from this marker); Leaders, Stewards and Advocates (a few steps from this marker); Original Capitol Complex (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Underground Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Walnut Place (within shouting distance of this marker); Pennsylvania Canal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mexican War Monument (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyEducationGovernmentNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,416 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement