Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nebraska City in Otoe County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Mother Church of Methodism in Nebraska

The First United Methodist Church of Nebraska City

 
 
Mother Church of Methodist in Nebraska Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 23, 2013
1. Mother Church of Methodist in Nebraska Marker
Inscription.

After Nebraska Territory was organized in 1854, Dr. W. H. Goode came to establish Methodist missions. In 1855 Goode appointed Rev. William D. Gage to lead the Nebraska City Mission.

Construction of a church began at this site in 1855. It was dedicated in November 1856. Part of the original structure forms the south end of the current sanctuary. In 1861 the Nebraska Methodist Conference was organized at Nebraska City. In 1936 the conference designated this church as "Mother Church of Methodism in Nebraska."
 
Erected by Nebraska City First United Methodist Church and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 438.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 40.632′ N, 95° 51.525′ W. Marker is in Nebraska City, Nebraska, in Otoe County. Marker is at the intersection of 11th Street (U.S. 75) and 1st Avenue, on the right when traveling north on 11th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1023 1st Avenue, Nebraska City NE 68410, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church Original 1855 Wall (here, next to this marker);
Mother Church of Methodist in Nebraska Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 23, 2013
2. Mother Church of Methodist in Nebraska Marker
Mother Church of Nebraska Methodism (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Masons of Nebraska Territory (within shouting distance of this marker); Nebraska City Volunteer Fire Dept. (approx. 0.2 miles away); This ELI Windmill (approx. mile away); Steam Wagon (approx. 0.6 miles away); Earth Lodge Villages (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hunter, Watchdog and Faithful Friend (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nebraska City.
 
Also see . . .  First UMC of Nebraska City on Facebook. (Submitted on July 21, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Man-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement