Near Wildwood in Sumter County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Royal School Site
Royal Community Park is the site of the former segregated Royal School. Founded in 1865, the community of Royal was originally known as Picketsville, which was named for the white picket fences that marked its 40-acre homesteads. It was settled by former slaves from the Old Green Plantation located on the Withlacoochee River. The settlement was called Royal by the late 1880s and the community's post office was established on June 26, 1891. Royal's first industries were farming, logging, and naval stores. In 1874, the Reverend Alfred Brown built the community's first school, a one-room schoolhouse. Because the school was centrally located, children, staff, and teachers were able to walk to school. Later, a three-room school constructed of wooden planks and board windows was built. Perman E. Williams, the school's first officially appointed principal, served during the 1937-38 school year. Men from the community, along with Principal Williams, served as trustees for the school. During the 1930s, the trustees requested and received approval from the Sumter County School Board to build a new Royal school.
The last and largest Royal School was built following an agreement that Sumter County would furnish materials and the Royal Community would provide the labor to construct the new school.
Erected 2010 by The Royal Library Association, Sumter Board of County Commissioners, Sumter,LLC, T&D Concrete,Inc., Young Performing Artists,Inc., and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-700.)
Location. 28° 53.743′ N, 82° 5.682′ W. Marker is near Wildwood, Florida, in Sumter County. Marker is on NE 5th St 0.1 miles north of County Road 462, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Royal Community northwest of the city of Wildwood and east of I-75. Marker is in this post office area: Wildwood FL 34785, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oak Grove Cemetery Confederate Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Adamsville (approx. 7.9 miles away); Sumterville (approx. 10.6 miles away); Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 10.8 miles away); Historic Floral City (approx. 15.4 miles away); The Battle of Wahoo Swamp (approx. 15.6 miles away); The Historic Duval House (approx. 15.7 miles away); Attorney Virgil Darnell Hopkins (approx. 15.8 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 411 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 24, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.