Wabasha in Wabasha County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Grace Memorial Episcopal Church
This first Episcopal service in Wabasha was held in 1857. The growing congregation incorporated as a parish in 1866 and held services in a white frame building on this site until 1901. The adjacent rectory was built in 1869.
From 1872 until 1877 the Reverend Horace Hills served as rector of Grace Church. Thomas Irvine, a successful lumberman, was a member at that time. He met and married Emily, Father Hills' daughter, but before their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary, Emily Hills Irvine died. Thomas Irvine presented this church building as a gift in loving memory of his wife and her parent, the Reverend Hills and Elizabeth Roberts Hills. The interior focal point is the beautiful "Resurrection" window over the altar, made by Tiffany studios of New York in 1900. It is considered one of the finest windows made by the studios. The only stipulation Irvine placed on his gift
Erected 1990 by Grace Memorial Episcopal Church.
Location. 44° 22.869′ N, 92° 1.904′ W. Marker is in Wabasha, Minnesota, in Wabasha County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street East and Bailey Avenue, on the right when traveling west on 3rd Street East. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 3rd Street East, Wabasha MN 55981, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wapahasha I / Wapahasha II / Wapahasha III (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away in Wisconsin); Lake Pepin (approx. 4.2 miles away); a different marker also named Lake Pepin (approx. 4.2 miles away); The River of Rafts (approx. 4.2 miles away); Beef Slough (approx. 4.7 miles away in Wisconsin). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wabasha.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2013. This page has been viewed 662 times since then and 322 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2013. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.