Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ansted in Fayette County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

“Halfway House”

 
 
"Halfway House" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe
1. "Halfway House" Marker
Inscription. Regular stop on the James River and Kanawha Turnpike. The original building, dating from before the Revolution, was rebuilt by William Tyree, 1810. During the winter of 1861-62, it was headquarters for Chicago Gray Dragoons.
 
Erected by State of West Virginia.
 
Location. 38° 8.083′ N, 81° 5.667′ W. Marker is in Ansted, West Virginia, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of James River and Kanawha Turnpike East (County Route 60/33) and Tyree Street, on the right when traveling east on James River and Kanawha Turnpike East. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ansted WV 25812, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tyree Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Westlake Cemetery (approx. mile away); Jackson's Mother (approx. 0.3 miles away); New Haven Veterans' Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Contentment (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named "Contentment" (approx. 0.8 miles away); Salt Sand (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hawks Nest (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ansted.
 
Categories. Colonial EraRoads & VehiclesWar, US Civil
 
"Halfway House" image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe
2. "Halfway House"
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2013. This page has been viewed 528 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement