Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of Alexandria's First Sugar Refinery

1804-1828

 
 
Site of Alexandria's First Sugar Refinery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, March 16, 2013
1. Site of Alexandria's First Sugar Refinery Marker
Inscription. The northern half of this block of Cameron Street, bounded by North Columbus Street on the east and North Alfred Street on the west, was the original site of the Moore-McLean Sugar Refinery. Within this half-acre lot was a five-story structure containing the refinery and the owner's original dwelling, a two-story frame house that fronted on North Alfred Street. Known as the Sugar House, it began operations in 1804. Lump and loaf sugar, molasses and candy were produced here from raw sugar imported from Cuba.

By 1810, Alexandria was ranked as the third largest producer of refined sugar in the U.S., exceeded only by Philadelphia and Baltimore. However, confronted in the mid-1820s by the rise of sugar production in Louisiana, and economic hard times in the Alexandria area, this refinery ceased its operations in 1828.

Erected to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of the Sugar House
 
Erected 2004 by Alexandria Archaeological Commission & Church Square Owners Association.
 
Location. 38° 48.377′ N, 77° 2.883′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Cameron Street and North Columbus Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Site of Alexandria's First Sugar Refinery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, March 16, 2013
2. Site of Alexandria's First Sugar Refinery Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lodge No. 38, Independent Order of Odd Fellows (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christ Church (about 400 feet away); Site of First Synagogue of Beth El Hebrew Congregation (about 400 feet away); Barrett Library/Black History Museum (about 400 feet away); Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005) (about 500 feet away); George Washington Memorial Parkway (about 500 feet away); Friendship Firehouse (about 500 feet away); Lloyd House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Also see . . .  Alexandria Archaeology webpage on Moore-McLean Sugar House (pdf file). (Submitted on July 26, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Sugar House Day Spa and Salon image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 27, 2013
3. Sugar House Day Spa and Salon
This building at 111 N. Alfred Street now houses a hair salon that is presumably named after the original Sugar House that stood here.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.   3. submitted on July 28, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement