Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Maryland State House
November 26, 1783 – August 13, 1784
In this state house, oldest in the nation still in legislative use, General George Washington resigned his commission before the Continental Congress December 23, 1783. Here, January 14, 1784, Congress ratified the Treaty of Paris to end the Revolutionary War and May 7, 1784 appointed Thomas Jefferson plenipotentiary. From here, September 14, 1786, the Annapolis convention issued the call to the states that led to the Constitutional Convention.
A Registered National Historic Landmark
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 38° 58.706′ N, 76° 29.424′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of State Circle and Francis Street on State Circle. Touch for map. This marker is on the grounds of the Maryland State House. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. USS Maryland (a few steps from this marker); Dred Scott, 1700 - 1858 Roger Brooke Taney, 1777 - 1864 (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mary's City Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Cornhill & Fleet Streets (within shouting distance of this marker); General Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Matthew Alexander Henson (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Treasury Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
More about this marker. There are three copies of this marker on the grounds. This is the southernmost of the three.
Also see . . . The Maryland State House: The Heart of Maryland History and Government. (Submitted on March 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
1. "A Registered National Historic Landmark"
Adjacent to this marker is a Registered National Historic Landmark marker. It reads:
Maryland State House has been designated a Registered
Designated as such by the United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service in 1963.
— Submitted March 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,295 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 2. submitted on December 29, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on March 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4. submitted on October 10, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.