South Whitley in Whitley County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First School in Whitley County
“Let There Be Light”
During the year 1837 in a log cabin
near this spot David Parrett
taught the First School in
This Memorial Dedicated
December 4, 1937
The Teachers of Whitley County
Erected 1937 by Teachers of Whitley County.
Location. 41° 4.977′ N, 85° 37.681′ W. Marker is in South Whitley, Indiana, in Whitley County. Marker is at the intersection of South State Street (State Road 5) and West Wayne Street, on the left when traveling north on South State Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Whitley IN 46787, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. F-84 Thunder Streak (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); South Whitley Grist Mill (about 500 feet away); South Whitley (about 600 feet away); Larwill Indiana (approx. 6.7 miles away); The Island (approx. 8.2 miles away); Marshall, McNagny & Clugston (approx. 8.8 miles away); Valiant Men and Women of Whitley County (approx. 8.9 miles away); Ralph F. Gates (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Whitley.
Also see . . . Whitley County Historical Museum. (Submitted on August 2, 2013.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2013. This page has been viewed 269 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on August 2, 2013. 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 11, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.