Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Saint Patrick's Cathedral

 
 
Saint Patrick's Cathedral Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. Saint Patrick's Cathedral Marker
Inscription. The magnificent Renaissance Revival-styled Seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg is the second to rise from this prominent State Street property. Completed in 1907, Saint Patrick's Cathedral replaced its more modest predecessor, which was erected in 1827 and enlarged and remodeled over the years. By 1868, the growth of the Roman Catholic population in Central Pennsylvania, particularly spurred by the influx of the Irish who worked on the canal system, resulted in the papacy decreeing the establishment of the Diocese of Harrisburg, carved from that of Philadelphia, which would serve fifteen counties in the central portion of the Commonwealth. Saint Patrick's was established as the new diocese's pro-cathedral. With the turn of the 20th century, and the construction of the new Capitol Building, old Saint Patrick's was replaced by this impressive and largest church building in Harrisburg, emulating in style the Basilica of Saint Peter in Rome. The impressive dome,, which accessorily complements that of the State Capitol Building to the east on the street, rests upon the Cathedral's vast sanctuary featuring beautiful stained glass windows from Munich, Germany and marble columns and arches of the classical revival. The Cathedral's grand pipe organ enhances the grandeur of its overall interior space.
Left Photo
Present
Saint Patrick's Cathedral image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. Saint Patrick's Cathedral
Saint Patrick's Cathedral in 1910.
Center Photo
Old Saint Patrick's Cathedral (right center) looking west toward the Obelisk in 1893.
Right Photo
Interior of the present Saint Patrick's Cathedral in 1914.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 15.807′ N, 76° 53.155′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on State Street 0.1 miles east of Second Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grace Methodist Church (a few steps from this marker); The Obelisk (within shouting distance of this marker); Grace United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Public Sector Unionism (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Present State Capitol Building (about 300 feet away); Old Capitol Building (about 300 feet away); Hope Fire Station (about 600 feet away); Pine Street Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,304 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement