Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lyndhurst in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

River Road School

 
 
River Road School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 29, 2008
1. River Road School Marker
Inscription. The first schoolhouse was built on this site in 1804. Located in what then was called New Barbadoes Neck, the land was donated by Jacob Van Winkle “for the sole purpose of erecting a School House”. In 1849 it was replaced by a two-story building. The present one-room school, with Queen Anne style cupola, was built in 1893. It continued to be used as a Lyndhurst school until 1978.

Sponsored by the Lyndhurst Historical Society
In National Register of Historic Places

 
Erected 1984 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 88.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 48.879′ N, 74° 8.05′ W. Marker is in Lyndhurst, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverside Ave and Fern Ave, on the right when traveling north on Riverside Ave. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Riverside Ave, Lyndhurst NJ 07071, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named River Road School (within shouting distance of this marker); Operations Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom
Marker and the Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 29, 2008
2. Marker and the Schoolhouse
On this site, in 1804, was born the first known public school system of Bergen County, NJ deeded to the school trustees of what was then called New Barbadoes Neck. This property given for the sole purpose of erecting a school was to yield and pay the yearly rent of one peppercorn if demanded.
(approx. half a mile away); Lyndhurst War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The Passaic River (approx. 0.8 miles away); John McGarry (approx. 0.9 miles away); Kingsland Manor (approx. 0.9 miles away); Vreeland House (approx. 1.3 miles away); John F. Kennedy (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lyndhurst.
 
Also see . . .
1. River Road School. Lyndhurst Historical Society (Submitted on March 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. Bergen County Historical Society Historic Site Markers. This marker is listed on page 68 of this book published in 1996. (Submitted on March 29, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
 
Little Red Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 29, 2008
3. Little Red Schoolhouse
This one-room school house was active until 1978. Today, it serves as a museum for the Lyndhurst Historical Society.
School Marm's Home image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 29, 2007
4. School Marm's Home
This house, located next to the River Road School, was the home to the school teacher during the 19th century.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,787 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement