Lucerne in Lucerne (District), Switzerland
Der torartige Durchbruch am Reussufer entstand 1900-1901 anlässlich des Baus des St. Karliquais.
Heute Sitz der Zunft zu Safran
Part of the the western defenses of the 14th Century and part of the Musegg-wall (completed 1408). Built in 1513 as a round tower with bulwark, and called the "Red Tower" or "Peasants Foe". An earlier gate, the Linden Gate, at the Brüggli alley, was known to be here in 1393.
The gate-like opening at the shore of the Reuss River was created 1900-1901 during the construction of the St. Karli Quay.
Today it houses the Safran Guild.
Erected by Stadt der Luzern (City of Lucerne).
Location. 47° 3.198′ N, 8° 17.97′ E. Marker is in Lucerne, Lucerne, in Lucerne (District). Marker is at the intersection of Sankt KarliQuai and Luegislandegg, on the right when traveling west on Sankt KarliQuai. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Sankt KarliQuai 12, Lucerne 6004, Switzerland.
Other nearby markers. The Spreuer Bridge (about 240 meters away, measured in a direct line); Lower- or Basel-Gate (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Spreuer Bridge Paintings (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Mühlenplatz (Mill Place) (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Louis Pfyffer von Wyher (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Mills Gate (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Old Armory (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Dr. Jur. Kasimir Pfyffer (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lucerne.
Regarding Nölliturm. Nölliturm marks the end of Lucerne's city wall next to the Reuss River.
The Safran Guild, a guild of shopkeepers and craftsmen, has occupied the tower since 1922 and rents it to the public for special occasions.
Also see . . .
1. Das Zunftlokal Nölliturm. A short German-language history of the Nölliturm, as told by the Safran Guild. (Submitted on August 21, 2013.)
2. Nölliturm. The Society for the Preservation of the Muesegg Wall presents a short history of the tower, in German. (Submitted on September 26, 2013.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 5, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.