Jamesport in Daviess County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Harris Log House
Built by Jesse and Polly Embry Harris four miles East of Jamesport between 1830 and 1836. They arrived with ten children and one slave. Reconstructed by the Harris family in 1985. The last Harris owners were Dr. George Dowe Harris, a Jamesport physician, and his son James Aurand Harris, America's foremost children's playwright.
Location. 39° 58.278′ N, 93° 48.051′ W. Marker is in Jamesport, Missouri, in Daviess County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway (Missouri Route 190) and Bailey Street, on the right when traveling north on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jamesport MO 64648, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birthplace and Boyhood Home of Jerry Litton (approx. 8.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.4 miles away); Gallatin (approx. 9.4 miles away); Site of the 1883 Trial of Frank James (approx. 9.4 miles away); Site of the 1869 James Gang Bank Robbery (approx. 9.4 miles away).
Also see . . . History of Daviess and Gentry counties, Missouri (1922). (Submitted on August 5, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.