Naval Training Center, Great Lakes in Lake County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Douglas A-4 “Skyhawk”
—Naval Training Center, Great Lakes Museum —
McDonnell/Douglas A-4D (A-4)
The Douglas A-4D “Skyhawk” was designed by the late Ed Heinemann in response to a Navy requirement for a fast (but compact) long-range, light-weight carrier jet capable of delivering a nuclear weapon. Because of its small size and ease with which flight deck personnel could handle it, A-4Ds became known variously as either “Scooters” or “Tinker Toys.”
The A-4 set a world speed record of more than 695 mph in 1959 for Class C aircraft over a 500K km course. Fitted with two 150 gallon under wing drop tanks, two A-4Ds flew 2,082 miles non-stop without in-flight refueling in a demonstration of the plane’s long-range capability.
The A-4 Skyhawk participated in the first raids of the Vietnam War and became one of the primary strike aircraft thereafter. The A-4 “Skyhawks” suffered more losses than any other carrier-based aircraft in Vietnam with the loss of 195 aircraft in combat.
The A-4 “Skyhawk” was the backbone of the Navy and Marine Corps light jet attack forces from the late 1950s into the 1980s. Development of the “Skyhawk” series continued during these years and included many improvements, updates and
The first production Skyhawk was delivered in 1956 and the last in 1979. In total 2,960 Skyhawks were delivered to the fleet. A two-seat trainer version of the A-4 was in use by the Navy until 1999.
Bombs: Max Load 10,000 lbs
Max Centerline 3,500 lbs
Each wing (inboard) 2,200 lbs
Each wing (outboard)1,000 lbs
Guns: Two 20 mm cannons
The aircraft carried armament ranging
from conventional “Iron Bombs” to such
sophisticated weapons as the Gatling Gun,“Bullpup”,“Walleye”, “Shrike” and, in one case, “Sidewinder” air-to-air missile.
Erected 1998 by National Naval Aviation Museum, Naval Air Station, Pensacola, FL.
Location. 42° 18.777′ N, 87° 50.594′ W. Marker is in Naval Training Center, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Farragut Avenue, Great Lakes IL 60088, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Building Five (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War I / Between the Wars (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Recruit / Original Historic Structures (approx. 0.2 miles away); Black and White (approx. 0.2 miles away); Origins of the Base / Construction (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Golden Thirteen (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wings over Great Lakes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Great Lakes History Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Regarding Douglas A-4 "Skyhawk". The airplane and its marker plaques are on indefinite loan to the Naval Training Center, Great Lakes from the National Naval Aviation Museum at Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida
Also see . . .
1. A-4 Skyhawk Association: Captain Hook's Skyhawks on Display. (Submitted on August 6, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Great Lakes Naval Museum. (Submitted on August 7, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Bureau
Categories. • Air & Space • War, Vietnam •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 7, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.