Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sullivans Island in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Moultrie II

1794 - 1804

 
 
Fort Moultrie II	 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 3, 2013
1. Fort Moultrie II Marker
Inscription.
Fort Moultrie II was an enclosed five-sided earthwork, partly faced with brick, surrounded by a ditch and glacis. Within the fort were a hot-shot furnace, powder magazine and bombproof. Officers’ quarters, enlisted men’s barracks, and the bake oven stood behind the fort.

Fort Moultrie II had a short life. Completed in 1798 in response to disagreements with France, it stood until wrecked by a hurricane in 1804.

Fort Moultrie was redesigned to protect Charleston against small sailing frigates. It could not have stood against ships-of-the-line.
 
Erected by National Park Service.
 
Location. 32° 45.521′ N, 79° 51.487′ W. Marker is in Sullivans Island, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker can be reached from Middle Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located Behind Fort Moultrie. Marker is in this post office area: Sullivans Island SC 29482, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harbor Defense (within shouting distance of this marker); Move a 50,000 pound Rodman Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Palmetto Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); 1860 Flanking Caponniere
Fort Moultrie II	 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 3, 2013
2. Fort Moultrie II Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); British Attack (within shouting distance of this marker); Defending Charleston 1861-1865 (within shouting distance of this marker); Charleston Surrenders (within shouting distance of this marker); H.L. Hunley Disappears (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sullivans Island.
 
More about this marker. The center of the marker contains a picture of a Private, 2nd Regiment of Artillery and Engineers, 1804. Next to this is a picture of a French ship under a French flag. A 1798 drawing of an Outline of Fort Moultrie II appears on the left. The bottom of the marker shows the range of Fort Moultrie’s guns.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Moultrie. National Park Service website. (Submitted on August 6, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
Fort Moultrie II	 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 3, 2013
3. Fort Moultrie II Marker
Fort Moultrie can be seen behind the marker.
Fort Moultrie II	 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 3, 2013
4. Fort Moultrie II Marker
The water that Fort Moultrie protected can be seen in the background.
Marker on Sullivans Island image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 3, 2013
5. Marker on Sullivans Island
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 6, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement