Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Belleville in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Dutch Church

 
 
The Dutch Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 29, 2008
1. The Dutch Church Marker
Inscription.
at
Second River New Jersey
Organized 1697
Belleville school system started here

Many members of early town founders interred here.

 
Erected 1976 by Belleville Historical Society.
 
Location. 40° 47.202′ N, 74° 8.921′ W. Marker is in Belleville, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Rutgers Street (New Jersey Route 7) and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Rutgers Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belleville NJ 07109, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. School Number One (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Belleville Reformed Church Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rutgers Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Josiah Hornblower (within shouting distance of this marker); Route 7 Bridge (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); LCpl Osbrany Montes De Oca Bridge (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named The Rutgers Bridge (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belleville.
 
More about this marker.
The Old Dutch Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 29, 2008
2. The Old Dutch Church
The Old Dutch Church dates back to 1697, and was witness to a great deal of history before, during and after the Revolutionary War.
The Tunnel - There has been a rumor around for generations that a tunnel from the nearby Schuyler copper mine in North Arlington led under the Passaic River and into the basement of this church. As relations with Great Britain soured, this tunnel was used to secretly transfer copper to the church, which was later shipped to Morristown and fashioned into American coins. If true, this would be the earliest occurrence of colonial rebellion.

The Snipers Nest - Another legend about the church involves Capt. Abraham Spear. It is said that he used the bell tower as a lookout and sniper's nest against the British. Capt. Spear is burried in the churchyard.
 
Also see . . .  Village of Second River – Belleville, NJ. (Submitted on March 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
Church cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 29, 2008
3. Church cemetery
Many of Belleville's town founders are buried in the church cemetery. At least 65 Revolutionary War veterans are also buried here, as well as Henry Rutgers, who once donated money and a cannon to Queen’s College. Out of appreciation, the school renamed itself Rutgers.
A Cannon among the Graves image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 29, 2008
4. A Cannon among the Graves
The cemetery behind the Dutch Church contains a Revolutionary War cannon to emphasize its colonial roots.
1776 Retreat Route image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 29, 2008
5. 1776 Retreat Route
Gen. George Washington's army passed the Dutch Church in 1776 when they were retreating across New Jersey. This event is noted by this sign in front of the church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,296 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement