La Plata in Charles County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Job Chandler, first Charles County settler, built the oldest part of this house, 1639-1650, aided by the Potopaco Indians. Later it was the birthplace of Archbishop Leonard Neale, one of six brothers, all Catholic priests, and one sister, a nun. First (temporary) seat of Carmelite Nuns in America, 1790.
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
Location. 38° 30.266′ N, 76° 59.107′ W. Marker is in La Plata, Maryland, in Charles County. Marker is at the intersection of Crain Highway (U.S. 301) and Old Stage Coach Road, on the right when traveling south on Crain Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Plata MD 20646, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Courthouse at Moore's Lodge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Surgeon General Revolutionary Army (approx. 1½ miles away); Old Durham Church, Episcopal - 1692 (approx. 1.7 miles away); Christ Church Episcopal (approx. 1.8 miles away); Mulberry Grove - Birthplace of John Hanson (approx. 1.8 miles away); Mulberry Grove John Hanson (approx. 1.8 miles away); St. Columba Masonic Lodge (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Plata.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2008, by M. A. Pimentel of Waldorf, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,519 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2008, by M. A. Pimentel of Waldorf, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.