Youngstown in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The “Castle” of Fort Niagara
The "Castle" of
was built by the French
1726, approximately on the
site occupied by La Salle
1678, and Denonville 1687.
Taken by the British
1759, it was held by them as
a base of warfare against the
American frontiers during
the War of the Revolution.
First occupied by the
United States Aug. 11, 1796:
Retaken by the British Dec. 19,
1813, coming finally, May 22,
1815, under the flag of the
Erected by the Niagara Frontier, Buffalo Chapter, N.S.U.S.D. of 1812.
Location. 43° 15.784′ N, 79° 3.831′ W. Marker is in Youngstown, New York, in Niagara County. Marker can be reached from Scott Avenue north of Jackson Street (New York State Route 18F) when traveling north. Touch for map. This historical marker is located a short drive north of the downtown Youngstown area, in the Fort Niagara State Park. According to Google Map it is located at the end of the Scott Avenue loop, and is one of the markers seen when visiting Old Fort Niagara (affixed to the northeast corner of the "Castle" of Fort Niagara). Marker is in this post office area: Youngstown NY 14174, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. In Commemoration of the Rush - Bagot Treaty (within shouting distance of this marker); La Salle (within shouting distance of this marker); Father Pierre Millet (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Magasin à Poudre (about 500 feet away); The Niagara Portage: Gateway to the West (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Fort Niagara (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Siege of Fort Niagara (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dueling Cannons (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Youngstown.
Also see . . . The "French Castle" (1726). This is a link to information provided by the Old Fort Niagara website. (Submitted on August 8, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Exploration • Forts, Castles • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 455 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 8, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.