Johnstown in Fulton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
and military prison during
revolution. Inspected by
Washington in 1783
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 43° 0.175′ N, 74° 22.253′ W. Marker is in Johnstown, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of South Perry Street and Montgomery Street, on the right when traveling north on South Perry Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Johnstown NY 12095, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Johnstown (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Johnstown (here, next to this marker); Talmadge Edwards (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Burk's Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1 Mile to Baronial Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elizabeth Cady Stanton & Susan B. Anthony (approx. ¼ mile away); Elizabeth Cady Stanton (approx. ¼ mile away); Historic Johnstown (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnstown.
Regarding Fort Johnstown. Fort Johnstown: 1772-6, Johnstown. Fortification of stone jail. Palisaded with blockhouses at the diagonal corners.
1. Fort Johnstown Marker Replaced
This marker has been taken down and replaced with a historically accurate one. On August 6th, 2013 the replacement was officially dedicated by Johnstown City Historian Noel Levee, officials from Fulton County government and the Johnstown Historical Society. This 1932 marker stated that Fort Johnstown was "inspected by Washington in 1783." Many local experts over the years have concurred that Washington never visited Johnstown.
— Submitted August 9, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 391 times since then. Last updated on August 9, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 7, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.