Lucerne in Lucerne (District), Switzerland
Das westliche Metzgerrainli bildete früher einen Zweig der Kramgasse, gehörte somit zum ältesten Marktbereich der Stadt. Am Ende der östlichen Fortsetzung, an der Fischerstatt, war der Zugang zur städtischen Metzg, die 1479 – 1874 an der Reuss lag. Von daher leitet sich der im 17. Jahrhundert entstandene Name ab. Anschliessend an die Metzg befand sich bis 1548 die städtische Sinne, von der aus der grosse Weinumschlag der Stadt und der Urkantone kontrolliert und verzollt wurde. Daruber hatten seit 1429 die Schützen ihre Trinkstube.
An der Ecke dieses Hauses zum Fischmarkt (heute Weinmarkt) soll im 12./13. Jahrhundert das Raubhaus gestanden haben, ein Amtshaus der Klosterherrschaft Marbach/Luzern, wo man die Abgaben einsammelte. Um 1300 gehörte es den Herzögen von Österreich. Hier war auch die erst um 1853 entfernte Laube, von welcher die Gerichtsurteile verkündet wurden. Im 14. Jahrhundert benützten lombardische Geldwechsler das Haus, weshalb es Kawerschenhaus hiess. 1417 – 1848 war es Amtshaus der Stadtschreiber. Nach 1505 baut es der Apotheker Konrad Klauser
Unter Denkmalschutz seit 1964, restauriert 1975-1976
The western Metzgerrainli once formed a branch of the Kram Alley, making it part of the oldest commercial area of the city. Situated at the end of the eastern extension of the fish market, it provided access to municipal meat market, which from 1479–1874 was located on the bank of the Reuss River. Hence the resulting name, from the 17th Century onwards. In addition, until 1548 the municipal office in charge of inspecting and taxing wines from the surrounding regions was located here. And since 1429, the city guards had their tap room here.
The corner of the House at the Fish Market (today's wine market) was said to have been the site of the "Theft" House, a facility belonging to Marbach/Luzern monastery where levies were collected during the 12th and 13th Centuries. By 1300 the site was under the ownership of the Dukes of Austria. From 1853 it was also a site from which judicial decisions were announced. In the 14th century the house was occupied by Lombard moneychangers, which is why it was called "Kawerschen" House. From 1417-1848 it was the office of the City Recorder. Sometime after 1505 the pharmacist Konrad Klauser had the building completely renovated. Portions of the building from then are now preserved in the Swiss National Museum in Zurich. In 1740 the Corraggioni d'Orelli family took over the pharmacy, and had the house rebuilt in 1827 and 1830. A listed monument since 1964, restored 1975-1976.
Erected by Stadt der Luzern (City of Lucerne).
Location. 47° 3.101′ N, 8° 18.268′ E. Marker is in Lucerne, Lucerne, in Lucerne (District). Marker is on Metzgerrainle, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Metzgerrainle 9, Lucerne 6004, Switzerland.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stammhaus Corragioni D’Orelli (here, next to this marker); The Wine Market (a few steps from this marker); Metzgerrainli 6 (a few steps from this marker); Pfyffer-Cloos-House (within shouting distance of this marker); Fishermens Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Butchers’ Arch (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sonnenberg House in Zoepfli (within shouting distance of this marker); "Fire Alley" (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lucerne.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.