Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lorain in Lorain County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Shipbuilding

Lorain's First Industry

 
 
Side One - Shipbuilding Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 18, 2013
1. Side One - Shipbuilding Marker
Inscription.
Side One

Lorain's shipbuilding industry began when Augustus Jones and William Murdock began constructing wooden sailing vessels on the west side near the mouth of the Black River. The sloop General Huntington was the first boat launched from Lorain in 1819. In 1897, the shipbuilding industry moved to the east side of the river with the establishment of the Lorain yard of the Cleveland Shipbuilding Company, the precursor of the American Shipbuilding Company. In 1898, they were the largest dry dock on the Great Lakes. On April 13, 1898, the first steel ship, the Superior City, was launched. At the time, it was the largest vessel on fresh water. During the early years well-known passenger ships, railroad car ferries, tankers, self-unloaders, tugs, and barges were built here.

Side Two

Although the shipyard experienced extensive damage during the June 28, 1924 tornado, the American Shipbuilding Company remained in Lorain and rebuilt the yard. Many vessels were built during World War II for the U.S. Navy, including the U.S.S. Lorain and the U.S.S. Lorain County. The Walter Sterling was lengthened to an ore carrier from a tanker in 1961, and 22 years later it was the last ship to be repaired in Lorain. The lengthening of ships to "super ships" then became a trend in the industry. The last ship
Side Two - Shipbuilding Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 18, 2013
2. Side Two - Shipbuilding Marker
built here was the William De Lancy, 1013 footer, in 1981. On December 1, 1983, the American Shipbuilding Company closed its Lorain yard, bringing an end to the industry that was Lorain's first.
 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission-Black River Historical Society-The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 20-47.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 28.067′ N, 82° 10.217′ W. Marker is in Lorain, Ohio, in Lorain County. Marker can be reached from East Marina Drive south of Colorado Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lorain OH 44052, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lorain Tornado, 1924 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Trading Post (approx. 0.4 miles away); Founding of Lorain, Ohio (approx. 0.4 miles away); Helen Steiner Rice (approx. 1.5 miles away); Burrell Homestead (approx. 3.5 miles away); Jay Terrell and his "Terrible Fish" (approx. 4.7 miles away); Sandstone Center of the World (approx. 5.6 miles away); 103rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lorain.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Shipbuilding Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 18, 2013
3. Shipbuilding Marker
Shipbuilding Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 18, 2013
4. Shipbuilding Marker
Shipbuilding Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 18, 2013
5. Shipbuilding Marker
Shipbuilding Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 18, 2013
6. Shipbuilding Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 10, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement