Sneads in Jackson County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
This pump was built for the town of Sneads by Gabriel Smith in 1899 or 1900 and it is believed to be the second mechanical pump in the area. 1.5/72 acres of land was deeded to the city of Sneads, in the county of Jackson, on 18 February, 1899 for the sum of $200.00 by F.A. and Mittie Brown.
The village was first called Gloucester and the Sneads post office had its beginning in Miss Harriett Pope's parlor-hallway. Mail was brought in from Chattahoochee on horseback.
The town of Sneads was incorporated 26 October 1894, with 37 citizens. 30 voted for and 7 against incorporation. Adam White laid out the plot of the town. The site was chosen near the river, then the primary means of transportation. Gabriel Smith became the first mayor in 1893 and Lewis Taylor was the first postmaster. Smith and Taylor are credited with the development of the town. Its present name honored Dr. W.R. Snead, the first dentist to settle in the area.
The pump was restored in the summer of 1974 by the Carlisle Rose Garden Club and the town council.
Erected 1976 by Jackson County Historic Commission.
Location. 30° 42.481′ Touch for map. Marker is in small city park next to the old town pump. Marker is in this post office area: Sneads FL 32460, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chattahoochee Landing Mound Group (approx. 4.1 miles away); Nicolls' Outpost (approx. 4.1 miles away); Site of Ellicott's Observatory (approx. 4½ miles away); Apalachicola Arsenal (approx. 5.2 miles away); United States Arsenal (1832-1861) (approx. 5.4 miles away); a different marker also named Apalachicola Arsenal (approx. 5½ miles away); Sabacola El Menor (approx. 7.4 miles away in Georgia); Torreya Tree (approx. 9.2 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?