Bath in Beaufort County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bath, the oldest incorporated town in North Carolina, was established in 1705. By the 1708 the town consisted of twelve houses and a population of fifty people. Among the early inhabitants were John Lawson, Surveyor General of the colony and author of A New Voyage to Carolina, the first history of North Carolina; Christopher Gale, the first Chief Justice of the colony (1712-17,1722-24, 1725-31); Governors Thomas Cary (1705-06, 1708-11) and Charles Eden (1714-1722); and the pirate Edward Teach, known as “Blackbeard.”
The early history of Bath was disturbed by political rivalry, yellow fever epidemics, Indian wars, and piracy. After this period of turbulence ended, the town entered an era of peaceful development. It was a trade center, exporting naval stores, furs, tobacco; seat of government for Beaufort County; and in 1744 and 1752 the meeting place of the General Assembly. The political and economic importance of Bath declined after the Beaufort County seat was moved to the town of Washington in 1785.
Erected 1962. (Marker Number BB-2.)
Location. 35° 28.624′ N, 76° 48.732′ W. Marker is in Bath, North Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker can be reached Touch for map. Located at the State Historic Site Visitors Center in Bath. Marker is in this post office area: Bath NC 27808, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonial Bath (here, next to this marker); Palmer - Marsh House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Public Library (about 500 feet away); James Adams Floating Theatre (about 600 feet away); Matthew Rowan (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Colonial Bath (about 600 feet away); First Post Road (about 700 feet away); St. Thomas Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bath.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.