Goldsboro in Wayne County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Odd Fellows Home
opened in 1892. Provided
for 960 children before
closing in 1971. The original
20-acre tract is
now a city park.
Erected 1974 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number F-53.)
Location. 35° 22.927′ N, 77° 58.963′ W. Marker is in Goldsboro, North Carolina, in Wayne County. Marker is on East Ash Street (Business U.S. 70) near Herman Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goldsboro NC 27530, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Goldsboro (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wm. T. Dortch (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles B. Aycock (approx. 0.6 miles away); Seymour Johnson AFB History / 4th Fighter Wing History Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wayne County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); North Carolina Press Association (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Pentecostal Holiness Church Congregation (approx. 0.6 miles away); Company E, 119th Infantry, Goldsboro Rifles World War I Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goldsboro.
Regarding Odd Fellows Home. The Independent
The Odd Fellows Home was formally authorized in 1895, when it was recognized as the legal guardian of the children under its care by the state legislature. More children arrived and, to respond to the needs of the Home, the Odd Fellows sponsored the construction of new dormitories under the leadership of Nathaniel Jacobi, a wealthy Wilmington merchant. The home served almost 200 children by 1913 and there were more applications than there was space available. The Odd Fellows found funding wherever possible and established an endowment for the preservation of the
The last children at the Home who were orphans of the Odd Fellows arrived in 1950 and, as society changed, so did the home. From the 1950s onward, more and more children were arriving who had no connection to the Odd Fellows, while overall numbers of children served by the home decreased. Meanwhile, the buildings began to show their age and funding was scarce. Therefore, the Odd Fellows sold portions of the property and downsized the home to accommodate new child care regulations and declining attendance and income. In 1969 it was decided, after much consideration and review, that the home would operate until a shortage of funds or children would justify closing the facility. In 1970, the Odd Fellows decided that the home should be closed. The remaining children were sent to other facilities and the property was sold. Some of the buildings have been preserved and are considered eclectic examples of early twentieth century construction. (North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 309 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.