Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Dade City in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Townsend House Church & Cemetery

 
 
Townsend House Church & Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, June 1, 2013
1. Townsend House Church & Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Captain John Townsend and his wife, Nancy, brought their family and slaves to this area from North Florida in the late 1840's. The log home they built became the center of a pioneer community and a refuge from unfriendly Indians. After 1865 when the Townsends moved to a new home nearby, settlers built another "Townsend House" for use as a Methodist church and three-month-term school. The present building was constructed about 1880 on land donated by Joshua Mizell. The cemetery has been in use since before 1854. The area also was the site of a substantial Indian settlement in the sixteenth century.
 
Erected 1981 by The Pasco Board of County Commissioners and The Historical Preservation Committee.
 
Location. 28° 25.657′ N, 82° 19.081′ W. Marker is near Dade City, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is on Townsend House Road. Touch for map. The marker is located in the cemetery near the end of Townsend House Road, south of Dan Brown Hill Road, which is the county line between Hernando and Pasco counties. Marker is in this post office area: Dade City FL 33523, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Joseph Community (approx. 4.1 miles away); Blanton Methodist Church
Townsend House Cemetery Confederate Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, June 1, 2013
2. Townsend House Cemetery Confederate Memorial
(approx. 4.5 miles away); Spring Lake Community Center (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Bradley Massacre (approx. 5.2 miles away); City of San Antonio, Florida (approx. 6.9 miles away); St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church (approx. 7 miles away); St. Anthony School (approx. 7 miles away); Lake Jovita Club (approx. 7.1 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The 'present building' mentioned in the text is no longer standing.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
Townsend House Cemetery Grave of a Woodmen of the World image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, June 1, 2013
3. Townsend House Cemetery Grave of a Woodmen of the World
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 404 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Would appreciate a photo of the back side of the marker -and- a wide shot showing the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement