Near Land O'Lakes in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Even though gasoline rationing had caused the facility to be "Closed For The Duration" in 1943, a New York City auction of Dupree Gardens' camellia blooms netted $250,000.00 for the War Bond effort in 1944. Dupree Gardens, still a beautiful garden spot, briefly reopened in 1946 for some civic events.
The tearoom burned in 1995. The lodge (converted to a home by the Hendrix family), the gatehouse (now in ruins) and some scattered plantings are all that remains of this early Florida theme park.
Beginning in 2003, Beazer Homes developed 468 acres as Dupree Lakes.
Erected 2007 by The Pasco Board of County Commissioners, The Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee and Beazer Homes.
Location. 28° 14.878′ N, 82° 27.113′ W. Marker is near Land O'Lakes, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is on Ehren Cutoff Road (County Road 583) 0.1 miles west of Dupree Lakes Boulevard, on the left when traveling west Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Land O Lakes FL 34639, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ehren Community (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ehren African American Community / Mount Carmel Church And Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); Concord Stagecoach Road (approx. 4.1 miles away); Old Lutz Elementary School (approx. 7 miles away); Fivay Junction - Greenfield - Tucker Cemetery and Community (approx. 7 miles away); Double Branch Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 7.7 miles away); Wesley Chapel (approx. 7.8 miles away); Holton Cemetery (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Land O'Lakes.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 363 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.