Wilberforce in Greene County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lt. Charles Young at Wilberforce University
(Continued from other side)
When Young left Wilberforce in 1898, its cadet corps comprised 113 members, 14 of which later joined his new command of the Ninth Ohio Battalion. He motivated students to rise to the “Talented Tenth” of African American leaders, so called by Young’s colleague and friend W.E.B. Du Bois. Among many accomplishments, Young was elected the second honorary member of Omega Psi Phi in 1912 and awarded the Spingarn Medal in 1916, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People’s highest honor.
Erected 2013 by Omega Psi Phi Fraternity-Upsilon Chapter-The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 26-29.)
Marker series. This marker is included in Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 42.5′ N, 83° 52.683′ W. Marker is in Wilberforce, Ohio, in Greene County. Marker is on North Bickett Road south of U.S. 42, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilberforce OH 45384, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilberforce University / Distinguished Wilberforceans (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Galloway Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brigadier General Benjamin Oliver Davis, Sr. (approx. half a mile away); Hallie Quinn Brown (approx. half a mile away); Central State University (approx. half a mile away); Paul Robeson (approx. half a mile away); Albert Baker Football Practice Field (approx. 0.6 miles away); Payne Theological Seminary (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilberforce.
Categories. • African Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.