Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cynthiana in Harrison County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

County Named, 1793

Harrison County

 
 
County Named, 1793 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
1. County Named, 1793 Marker
Inscription. For Colonel Benjamin Harrison, who came to area, 1776. Served as Col. in Revolution from Penn. He was a member, 1787 and 1788 Kentucky Conventions, 1792 Constitutional Convention at Danville. Elected to Kentucky Legislature in 1793. County formed from Bourbon and Scott. Portions of Campbell, Boone, Pendleton, Owen, Grant, Kenton, Robertson taken from Harrison.
 
Erected 1968 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1171.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 38° 23.383′ N, 84° 17.833′ W. Marker is in Cynthiana, Kentucky, in Harrison County. Marker is on South Main Street (Courthouse Access Parking) north of Pike Street. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of the Harrison County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Cynthiana KY 41031, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Destroyers-USS Cassin (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Log Court House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Renowned Piscator (approx. mile away); 1st and 2nd Battle of Cynthiana
County Named, 1793 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
2. County Named, 1793 Marker
Harrison County Courthouse
Cynthiana, KY 41031.

Court Square given to county by Robert Harrison 1792.
Third and present Courthouse erected 1853.
Original contractor, John Huddleston.
Clock and bell added 1856.
North and South wings added 191.
Architect John T. Gillig.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places 1974.
Cynthiana named after Robert Harrison's two daughters-Cynthia and Anna.
(approx. mile away); The Old Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Death Valley Scotty (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ruddle's Station (approx. 3.6 miles away); Bourbon Whiskey / Jacob Spears (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cynthiana.
 
Categories. PoliticsWar, US Revolutionary
 
County Named, 1793 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
3. County Named, 1793 Marker
Historic plaque mounted on the wall on the left side of the entrance door.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Would appreciate: Photos of both sides -and- a long shot of the marker. Also a full view photo of the Courthouse. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement