Richmond in Madison County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
White Oak Pond Church
In 1827, county's first temperance society began here, where Nancy Irvine delivered first temperance talk for women in Kentucky and perhaps America. White Oak Pond and others joined Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) revival movement, 1830. In 1869, log church was disassembled and its hand-hewn timbers used to build present Greek Revival structure.
Erected 1996 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1979.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 44.2′ N, 84° 20.167′ W. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond KY 40475, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grave of Hancock Taylor (approx. 1.6 miles away); Christopher (Kit) Carson (approx. 1.8 miles away); Kit Carson-Legend of the Old West (approx. 1.8 miles away); Eastern Kentucky Univ. (approx. 2 miles away); Gov. James B. McCleary (approx. 2.2 miles away); Frances E. Beauchamp / Prohibition Advocate (approx. 2.3 miles away); James B. McCreary Hall of Justice (approx. 2.3 miles away); County Named, 1786 / County Formed (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Patriots & Patriotism • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 17, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 15, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.