Woodley Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1856 Jefferson Davis, then secretary of war, summer here with his family. Davis rented the home from Captain Edmund French, a classmate from West Point. Mrs. Davis wrote "we took a house two or three miles out of town and spent the heated term there," visited frequently by President and Mrs. Pierce.
During the Civil War, Union Soldiers convalescing in hospitals thought Jefferson Davis owned the property, so they continually raided the farm. They were so destructive that Captain French's widow and children, who still lived there, were forced to move to town.
In 1920 the house was razed, and 125,000 tons of dirt and rock were removed to lower the plot to the level of Connecticut Avenue. Harry Wardman used eight acres to build Cathedral Mansions here, a complex of three buildings containing 500 apartments - a the time said to be the largest apartment complex south of New York.
Erected by Art on Call.
Location. 38° 55.783′ N, 77° 3.317′ W. Marker is in Woodley Park, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Connecticut Avenue Northwest 0.1 miles south of Devonshire Place Northwest, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in an old police call-box in front of Cathedral Mansions Apartments west of the National Zoo. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3000 Connecticut Avenue, Washington DC 20008, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Black and Gray Squirrels (within shouting distance of this marker); Long & Winding Woodley Road (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); From Woodley to Woodley Park Mihran Mesrobian (about 800 feet away); Woodley Road Neighbors (approx. 0.2 miles away); Walsh Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Harry Wardman (approx. ¼ mile away); Woodley Estate (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodley Park.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 345 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 18, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.