Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lancaster in Garrard County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Garrard County, 1797

 
 
Garrard County, 1797 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 21, 2013
1. Garrard County, 1797 Marker
Inscription. Taken from parts of Lincoln, Madison, and Mercer, it was the 25th county formed. Lancaster, county seat, established in 1798. Named for James Garrard, then governor of Kentucky, 1796-1804. A native of Virginia, served as militia officer in Revolution. He came to Kentucky in 1783. Member statehood and Constitution conventions at Danville, 1784-92.
 
Erected 1969 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1240.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 37° 37.142′ N, 84° 34.734′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Kentucky, in Garrard County. Marker is on Stanford Street south of Danville Road (Kentucky Route 52), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster KY 40444, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Buford-Salter House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Statesmen (about 700 feet away); Lancaster Public Spring
Garrard County, 1797 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 21, 2013
2. Garrard County, 1797 Marker
(about 700 feet away); Local Authoress (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Gov. Bradley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pleasant Retreat (approx. 0.7 miles away); Walker Foxhounds (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
 
Categories. Politics
 
Garrard County, 1797 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 21, 2013
3. Garrard County, 1797 Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement