Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Somerset in Pulaski County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Pulaski County 1799

 
 
Pulaski County 1799 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 21, 2013
1. Pulaski County 1799 Marker
Inscription. Kentucky's 27th formed, its territory taken from Lincoln and Green Counties, was named for Count Casimir Pulaski, Polish patriot and soldier of liberty. He came to US when he learned of the Colonies' fight for freedom. A brigadier general in Revolution, he gave his life to the cause of America, Oct. 11, 1779. Counties in 7 states named for him.
 
Erected 1977 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1607 - A.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 37° 5.383′ N, 84° 36.333′ W. Marker is in Somerset, Kentucky, in Pulaski County. Marker is on South Vine Street north of Elm Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Somerset KY 42501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town Spring (here, next to this marker); Morgan's First Raid (approx. mile away); Home of Governor Morrow (approx. 0.4 miles away); Russell S. Dyche Memorial Highway (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dutton's Hill Battle
Pulaski County 1799 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 21, 2013
2. Pulaski County 1799 Marker
In the background is Historical Town Springs Monument
(approx. 1.8 miles away); Harriette Simpson Arnow (approx. 6.8 miles away); First Boy Scout Troop (approx. 6.9 miles away); Confederate Defense Line (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Somerset.
 
Categories. PoliticsWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 18, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement