Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallassee in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

History of Tallassee

by Bill Goss

 
 
History of Tallassee Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 12, 2013
1. History of Tallassee Marker
Inscription. (side 1)
This land belonged to the Creek (Muskogee) Indians, who had lived in the Tallassee area for hundreds of years, until their removal in 1836. Benjamin Hawkins, the Creek Indian Agent for the U.S. government, visited the Creek Indians in 1798 in the Tallassee area. He saw the great falls of the Tallapoosa River. He predicted that because of the river, the falls and an abundance of rock, elements existed for building a large city at the falls. In less than fifty years, his prophecy was fulfilled. No definite date can be given for the founding of Tallassee, but evidence shows that it was certainly in existence in 1835. Prior to 1832, very few families had settled in the Tallassee region. During 1837-1840, groups of settlers came into central Alabama and the Tallassee area from Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. During this period, a thriving new town was built of native wood and stone on the west bluff of the lower Tallapoosa River. It was called Tallassee.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
In 1841, the Tallassee Falls Manufacturing Company was chartered by the Alabama Assembly, at the great fall, to Barent DuBois, the founder of Tallassee, and on the East side of the Tallapoosa River, to Hickerson Burnham. Then in 1844,
History of Tallassee Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 12, 2013
2. History of Tallassee Marker
Thomas Meriwether Barnett, the father of Tallassee, and William M. Marks built the first cotton mill in Tallassee. They were responsible for the first industrial development of Tallassee. During the Civil War, Tallassee became a supply center for the Confederacy. In World War I and World War II, Tallassee supplied the U.S. government with heavy duck cloth for tents, sails and cots. Until they closed in 2005, the Tallassee Mills were the oldest continuous operating textile mills in the United States, providing 161 years of service. On January 21, 1908, Tallassee was incorporated.
 
Erected by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Tallassee.
 
Location. 32° 32.046′ N, 85° 53.095′ W. Marker is in Tallassee, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is on Central Boulevard (Alabama Route 14) 0.1 miles west of Freeman Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located behind Tallassee Community Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 99 Freeman Avenue, Tallassee AL 36078, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tallassee Vietnam War Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tukabahchi (about 400 feet away); Tallassee Armory
Marker area and Thurlow Dam and Reservoir in background. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 26, 2014
3. Marker area and Thurlow Dam and Reservoir in background.
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Brigadier General Birkett Davenport Fry, CSA / Tallassee Confederate Officers Quarters (approx. half a mile away); Tukabatchee / Tokvpvcce (approx. 4 miles away); Franklin's Educational Legacy (approx. 6.6 miles away); Site of Thaddeus Post Office (approx. 6.8 miles away); George Stiggins (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallassee.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Marker area with City Hall in background, looking east. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 26, 2014
4. Marker area with City Hall in background, looking east.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 18, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   3, 4. submitted on December 26, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement