Hartford in Washington County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lohrís Gas Station
City of Hartford, Wisconsin
The historic feature of this building is the Oriental pagoda-like roof with bright red roof tiles. Gas stations with pagoda roofs originated in the Midwest. They were popular from 1915 through the 1930s, and a few still exist. The front half of this building was a drive-through open canopy which was enclosed in the 1950s when it became Troeller Tire Shop and later the State Farm Insurance Office, currently owned by Gary and Kathleen Schlieve.
Washington County, Wisconsin
Erected 2007 by Landmarks Commission Washington County, Wisconsin. (Marker Number 06-002.)
Location. 43° 18.911′ N, 88° 22.643′ W. Marker is in Hartford, Wisconsin, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Branch Street (State Highway 83) and South Street, on the right when traveling north on Branch Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 158 Branch Street, Hartford WI 53027, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured Willard R. Amidon Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Westphal Mansion Inn (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); “Kissel” (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Schwartz Ballroom (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Lawrence Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Holy Hill (approx. 5Ĺ miles away); Winter Farm (approx. 5.8 miles away); Schubert Cheese Factory (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartford.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 19, 2013, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2013, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.