Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Interlaken in Interlaken-Oberhasli (District), Bern, Switzerland
 

On the Panorama Mountain in Just a Few Minutes

In Wenigem Minutem auf dem Panoramaberg

 
 
Harder Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 4, 2013
1. Harder Marker
Inscription.
Auf dem Harder gewinnt man den Überblick. Im Panoramawagen führt die Standseilbahn ihre Gaeste auf den 1322 Meter hoch gelegen Harder Kulm, und dies seit mehr als 100 Jahren.

Ein paar Schritte von hier, auf der gegenüberliegenden Seite der Aare, startet die Harderbahn ihrer Fahrt auf den Hausberg von Interlaken. Seit über hundert Jahren fuhrt sie - Sommer für Sommer - ihre kleinen und grossen Fahrgäste zum Aussichtspunkt Harder Kulm. Wie aus der Vogelperspektiv liegt das "Bödeli" - so wird das Gebiet zwischen Thuner- und Brienzersee liebevoll genannt - ausgebreitet vor seinen Gästen. Das einzigartige Ausflugsgebiet, für welches Interlaken bekannt ist, wird zur Panoramalandschaft.

1908, an einem Regentag, wurde die Bahn feierlich eingeweiht, seither scheint für sie fast nur die Sonne. Doch die Initianten hatten einigen Gewitter zu erdulden, standen oft im Regen, bis das Bahnprojekt ins Rollen kam. Fünfzehn Jahren lang verstaubten die Pläne auf Schreibtischen oder in Schubladen bis Dr. Fritz Michel aus Interlaken die Bahnidee auf die Schiene brachte. "Wer hat dich du schöner Wald, aufgebaut so hoch da droben", das Gedicht von Josef von Eichendorff, vertont von Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, kam als Kampflied gegen das Bahnprojekt zum Einsatz. Erst als die Linienführung, aus Gründen des Landschaftsschutzes, als
Harder Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 4, 2013
2. Harder Marker
The Harder Railway funicular is in the background.
weiten Bogen um das "Hardermandli" herum - eine markante Felspartie, gestaltet wurde, verstummten die Protestgesänge.

Vom ersten Tag an fuhr die Bahn mit erneubarer, elektrischer Energie, gewonnen aus Wasserkraft der Aare. Zum 100. Geburtstag erhielt die kleine rote Bahn zwei neu Panoramawagen. Seit da pendeln die Wagen - verziert mit den Steinbock-Wappen von Interlaken und Unterseen - einer aussichtsreichen Zukunft entgegen. Wer Steinbock in natura erleben möchte, findet bei der Talstation grosse Zuchtgehege dieser stolzen Tieren.

On the Panorama Mountain in Just a Few Minutes
The view from Harder, altitude 1322 metres, gives you the perfect overall picture. The funicular carries guests up to the Harder Kulm in panoramic carriages and has been doing so for over 100 years.

Just a few steps from here, on the other side of the River Aare, the Harder Railway starts its journey up Interlaken’s home mountain. Summer after summer for over 100 years, the funicular has carried visitors of all ages to the scenic vantage point on Harder Kulm, to marvel at the bird’s-eye view of the Bödeli – as the area between Lakes Thun and Brienz is affectionately known. The unique excursion region for which Interlaken is so famous is transformed into a panoramic landscape.

The railway was officially opened on a rainy day in 1908
Harder Railway funicular image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 4, 2013
3. Harder Railway funicular
by since then it has been sunshine almost all the way. However, the initiators has to suffer several storms and were often "left out in the rain" until the railway project actually got underway. The plans gathered dust on a desk or in a drawer for 15 years until Dr. Fritz Michel from Interlaken finally put the idea of a railway on track. "On lovely forest, who created you there so high above," the poem of Josef von Eichendorff, set to music by Feliz Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, became the battle song of the opponents of the railway project. The protest chants were first silenced when, for reasons of preservation of the landscape, the route of the track was designed in a designed in a wide curve around the Hardermandi – a prominent rock face.

From the very first day, the railway ran on renewable electrical energy produced with hydropower fro the River Aare. The tiny red train was given two new panorama carriages for its 100th birthday in 2008. Since then, the carriages – decorated with the ibex coats of arms of Interlaken and Unterseen – have been traveling toward a promising future. Anyone keen to experience ibex in natura (sic) can see these beautiful animals at the wildlife park near the bottom station.
 
Location. 46° 41.379′ N, 7° 51.922′ E. Marker is in Interlaken, Bern
<i>Interlaken von dem Heimwehfluh Aus</i> image. Click for full size.
By Detroit Publishing Company, circa 1900
4. Interlaken von dem Heimwehfluh Aus
This view, shows Interlaken and the Harder, to the north. Although not visible here, the marker site would be located in the middle of the picture, about halfway between the right edge and picture center, about where the mountain rises up from the valley. The funicular railway starts from there and goes up, mostly straight up and then somewhat to the west, reaching the Harder Peak.
, in Interlaken-Oberhasli (District). Marker is at the intersection of Höheweg and Beaurivage-Brücke, on the left when traveling east on Höheweg. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Höheweg 92, Interlaken, Bern 3800, Switzerland.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hotel Beau Rivage (within shouting distance of this marker); Adolf Guyer-Zeller - A Railway up the Jungfrau (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); From Spa Hall to Congress Centre (approx. half a kilometer away); Casino Interlaken - Fun and Games since 1859 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); From Jungfrauenberg to Jungfrau (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Sir Arnold Lunn (approx. 14.2 kilometers away); James Bond: Curling on the Terrace/Attack on Piz Gloria (approx. 14.9 kilometers away).
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   4. submitted on September 21, 2013. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement