Atascadero in San Luis Obispo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Atascadero Administration Building
Erected 1984 by State Department of Parks and Recreation and the Atascadero Historical Society. (Marker Number 958.)
Location. 35° 29.367′ N, 120° 40.048′ W. Marker is in Atascadero, California, in San Luis Obispo County. Marker is on Palma Avenue south of West Mall Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6500 Palma Avenue, Atascadero CA 93422, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sunken Gardens (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carlton Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Your American Heritage Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Faces of Freedom Veterans Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away); First Presbyterian Church Templeton Carriage Works (approx. 4.7 miles away); Museum Property / Horstman House (approx. 4.7 miles away); In Memoriam (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atascadero.
More about this marker. The marker is in a monument in the lawn to the right of the main entrance to the building.
Regarding Atascadero Administration Building. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 958 on August 16, 1983.
After almost 10 years of repair work from the San Simeon Earthquake, the Atascadero Administration Building reopened in August 2013.
Also see . . . Atascadero Administration Building. A waymarking.com post with photos of the marker and building before being fenced off for renovation work. (Submitted on November 30, 2010.)
1. Sign Posted During Restoration
During an extensive restoration, fencing was placed around the building and access to the marker was not available. A sign was mounted on the fence which read:
Designed by the prominent San Francisco architectural firm of Bliss and Faville, the building constructed between 1914 and 1918 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a California Registered Historical Landmark.
The building suffered significant damage during the 6.5 magnitude San Simeon Earthquake on December 22, 2003. Since that time City of Atascadero staff have been working with FEMA, the State Department of Historic Preservation and the elite team of Architects, Engineers and Historians to repair this important symbol of Atascadero.
Restoration is currently underway and is anticipated to be completed in 2013 in time for the Atascadero’s Centennial Celebration.
— Submitted August 22, 2013.
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 931 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on August 21, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. Photos: 1. submitted on August 21, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. 2. submitted on November 30, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 21, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on November 30, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.