Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Zermatt in Visp (District), Valais, Switzerland
 

The Parish Church of St. Maurizius, Zermatt

St. Maurizius Pfarrkirche Zermatt

 
 
Pfarrkirche Zermatt Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 9, 2013
1. Pfarrkirche Zermatt Marker
Inscription. Gebaut 1913 nach den Plänen von Architekt Adolf Gaudy aus Rorschach

Den Hochaltar schuf ein Altarbauer dem Goms ums Jahr 1750. Dargestellt sind hier die Heiligen Maurizius, Josep, und Ignatius, sowie die Bischöfe Niklaus (links) und Theodul (rechts). Das Stifterwappen erinnert an den Bischof Johann-Josef Blatter (1684-1752).

Die Seitenaltäre entstanden um das Jahr 1736:
Den “Herz-Jesu-Altar”, auf der linken Seite, baute Johann Rits aus Selkingen;
der “Mutter-Gottes-Altar” auf der rechten Seite, stammt ebenfalls von einem Walliser Meister, dessen Name aber unbekannt ist.

Anlässlich der Renovation der ganzen Kirche im Jahr 1980 schuf Theo Imboden aus Täsch den Zelebrationsaltar, den Ambo und die Leuchten.
Vom Florentiner Paolo Parente stammen das Deckegemälde, die in liturgischen Farben abgebildeten Symbole der vier Evangelisten im Chor sowie die Verkündigungsszenne und die biblischen Gestalten im Chorbogen. Das Deckengemälde versetzt die Arche Noah in unsere Zeit.

Die mechanische Orgel baute J. Füglister aus Grimisuat im Jahr 1981. Sie verfügt über 25 Register verteilt auf zwei Manuale und das Pedal.

German-English translation:

St. Mauritius Parish Church
Pfarrkirche Zermatt image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 9, 2013
2. Pfarrkirche Zermatt
of Zermatt

Built in 1913 according to the plans of architect Adolf Gaudy from Rorschach

The High Altar created by an altar builder from Goms around 1750. Shown here are the Saints Mauritius, Josep, and Ignatius, and the Bishops Nicholas (left) and Theodule (right). The crests commemorate the founding Bishop, Johann-Josef Blatter (1684 - 1752).

The Side Altars originated around the year 1736:
The "Heart of Jesus" altar, on the left, built by Johann Rits from Selkingen; the "Mother of God" altar on the right, also from a Valais master whose name is unknown.

During renovations of the whole Church in 1980 Theo Imboden from the Taesch created the celebratory altar, the ambience and the lights. The Florentine Paolo Parente created the ceiling paintings in the choir that depict in liturgical colors the symbols of the four evangelists, as well as the biblical scenes and figures in the choir arch. The ceiling painting depicts Noah's Ark in our times.

The Mechanical Organ built J. Füglister from Grimisuat in 1981. It has 25 stops on two manuals and the foot pedal.
 
Location. 46° 1.179′ N, 7° 44.774′ E. Marker is in Zermatt, Valais, in Visp (District). Marker
Pfarrkirche Zermatt image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 9, 2013
3. Pfarrkirche Zermatt
is on Kirchplatz just from Kirchstrasse, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Kirchplatz 7, Zermatt, Valais 3920, Switzerland.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Ascent of the Matterhorn (a few steps from this marker); Peter Taugwalder (a few steps from this marker); Rudolf Taugwalder (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Monte Rosa (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward Whymper (within shouting distance of this marker); Bergfuhrerplatz (Mountain Guide Square) (within shouting distance of this marker); Horace Benedict de Saussure (approx. 0.7 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .  The Roman Catholic Parish Church of St. Maurizius. A German-language history of the church. (Submitted on September 15, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Pfarrkirche Zermatt steeple image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 11, 2013
4. Pfarrkirche Zermatt steeple
Interior of the Pfarrkirche Zermatt image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 9, 2013
5. Interior of the Pfarrkirche Zermatt
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 22, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement