Wagoner in Wagoner County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Became Indian Territory's first incorporated town Jan. 4, 1896 under Mansfield's Digest of the Laws of Arkansas. The citizens (about 2,000) sought to form a city government to provide improvements and the upbuilding of society. Wagoner began Indian Territory's first free municipal schools in 1897.
Erected 1996 by Oklahoma Historical Society and Wagoner County Historical Society. (Marker Number 226.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
Location. 35° 57.59′ N, 95° 22.491′ W. Marker is in Wagoner, Oklahoma, in Wagoner County. Marker is at the intersection of Cherokee Street (State Highway 51) and Casaver Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Cherokee Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest grounds of the county courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 East Cherokee Street, Wagoner OK 74467, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War II Memorial (here, next to this marker); Melvin "Buck" Garrison (within shouting distance of this marker); Sam Powell and U.S. Court (within shouting Wagoner County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Hall & Fire Station (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oklahoma Centennial Bench (about 800 feet away); Semore Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texas Road (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wagoner.
Also see . . .
1. History of Wagoner County, Oklahoma. (Submitted on August 24, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Wagoner County, Oklahoma. (Submitted on August 24, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.