Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenhill in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Tabernacle Church

Lauderdale County

 
 
Tabernacle Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 24, 2013
1. Tabernacle Church Marker
Inscription. This is one of the earliest community burial grounds in Lauderdale County. The oldest dated gravestone is for Catherine Hill, first wife of Green Berry Hill, for whom the community is named. She died on June 8, 1825. George Kennedy deeded five acres of land in 1874 to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church South for the establishment of a church and cemetery. Two early circuit rider preachers are buried here, Rev. Henry Hill and Rev. William Walker. Other early families buried here include Cauhorn, Chisholm, Hill, Kennedy, Killen, LeMaster, Richardson, Strong, and Swinea. Veterans from the American Revolutionary War through the Vietnam War are interred here. The cemetery is located at Green Hill on the west side of The Andrew Jackson's Military Road.
 
Erected 2011 by Family and friends of Tabernacle Cemetery.
 
Location. 34° 57.45′ N, 87° 31.4′ W. Marker is in Greenhill, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 47 and County Route 140, on the left when traveling north on County Route 47. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35634, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War I (approx.
Rev Henry R Hill image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 17, 2003
2. Rev Henry R Hill
HILL, Henry Randolph Pvt: Born on Stutt's Farm 19 Dec 1844 died 13 July 1923. Co C 16 AL Inf CSA. Enlisted 28 July 1861, Florence. PVT. Co C, 16th Alabama. Served until 1 January 1864. Was never captured, discharged, or paroled.
0.3 miles away); Lone Cedar Church of Christ (approx. 3.2 miles away); Shoals Creek Preserve Tract (approx. 6.6 miles away); Town of Killen (approx. 6.9 miles away); Muscle Shoals Canal (approx. 7 miles away); Center (Centre) Star (approx. 7.7 miles away); St. Florian Historic District (approx. 8.2 miles away); St. Michael's Catholic Church (approx. 8.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.War, US RevolutionaryWar, Vietnam
 
John W Lemaster image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 17, 2003
3. John W Lemaster
Capt Tennessee Militia in War of 1812 born 1793 died 1876
Luther Pascal Kennedy image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 17, 2003
4. Luther Pascal Kennedy
PVT CO B 6 Texas Inf CSA born 1847 died 1919
W.J. Cauhorn image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 17, 2003
5. W.J. Cauhorn
Born Dec 20 1870 died Aug 1 1903
Catherine Hill image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 17, 2003
6. Catherine Hill
1800- Jun 8 1825 The oldest marked grave is that of Catherine Hill who died in 1825 when she was 24.
John Chisholm image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 17, 2003
7. John Chisholm
Tennessee Captain 1 Rect Tenn Militia War of 1812 January 18 1779 may 9 1861
Martha Richardson image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 17, 2003
8. Martha Richardson
born May 22 1811 More Co NC
Lydia Lakey Strong image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 17, 2003
9. Lydia Lakey Strong
Born Aug 22 1818 North Carolina Died June 25 1854
Rev William Walker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 17, 2003
10. Rev William Walker
born March 3 1847 died March 28 1913 Rev. William Walker was one of two early circuit rider preachers for Tabernacle Church.
Tabernacle Church image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 24, 2013
11. Tabernacle Church
The first simple log church on the site was built perhaps between 1830 and 1840. Among the first ministers was the Rev. Henry Hill (1776-1850), whose ordination certification was recorded in the Lauderdale County Court House in 1829. When this first building burned, another log one replaced it. The second one burned about 1869.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on August 24, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement