Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
 

The Old City Hall / City Tower

Altes Rathaus / Stadtturm

 
 
Old Town Hall / City Tower Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 14, 2013
1. Old Town Hall / City Tower Marker
Inscription.
Altes Rathaus
Innsbrucks altes Rathaus das älteste in Tirol, wurde 1358 mit Landesfürstlicher Hilfe errichtet. Der Laubengang und der Stadtturm wurden 1442/50 vorgebaut. Das ursprünglich einstockige Gebäude 1658 aufgestockt und mit dem barocken Bürgersaal versehen. Von 1897 -1980 stand das haus in Anderer Verwendung und ist seit 1990 wieder Amtssitz des Bürgermeisters.

Stadtturm
Dieser weitum einzigartige Turm wurde 1442/50 erbaut. Seine höhe beträgt 51 m. Der ursprünglich gotische Oberteil erheilt durch einen Umbau 1560 seine heutige form mit Zwiebelhelm. Im ersten Stock in einem 7 m hohen Gewölbe. Befand sich das städtische Gefängnis oben bei den Türmerkern die Turmerwohnung.


German-English translation:

The Old City Hall
Innsbruck's old city hall, the oldest in the Tyrol, was built in 1358 with royal assistance. The portico and tower were added on 1442-50. Originally a single-story, an additional story was added in 1658 with the addition of a baroque council hall. From 1897 -1980 the house was put to other uses, and has since 1990 been office of the mayor.

City Tower
Visible for miles around this unique tower was built in 1442-50. Its height is 51 meters. The original Gothic top was converted in 1560 its current
Old Town Hall / City Tower Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 14, 2013
2. Old Town Hall / City Tower Marker
Marker on the left.
onion-dome shape. On the first floor is a 7 meter high arch. The city jail was located high above by the tower's bay windows.

 
Location. 47° 16.102′ N, 11° 23.604′ E. Marker is in Innsbruck, Tyrol. Marker is on Herzog-Friedrich-Straße, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Herzog-Friedrich-Straße 21, Innsbruck, Tyrol 6020, Austria.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bederlunger House (a few steps from this marker); Hölblinghaus (a few steps from this marker); Katzunghaus (a few steps from this marker); The Golden Roof and New Courtyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Jakob Hutter (within shouting distance of this marker); The Teutonic Order House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Trautson House (within shouting distance of this marker); To Mantua in Chains (The Song of Andreas Hofer) (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Innsbruck.
 
Categories. Government
 
Firemen’s Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 14, 2013
3. Firemen’s Memorial
(Plaque to the left of the entrance to the Old City Hall.)

1857 - - 1957
Die Feuerwehr der Stadt Innsbruck widmet anlässlich ihres 100 jährigen bestandes diese Gedenktafel ihren in beiden Weltkriegen 1914-18, 1939-45 gefallenen und vermissten Kameraden
German-English translation:
1857 - 1957
The Fire Department of the City of Innsbruck dedicates this memorial on the occasion of its 100th anniversary to the memory of its fallen and missing comrades from the First (1914-18) and Second (1939-1945) World Wars.
The City Tower image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 14, 2013
4. The City Tower
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 394 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 26, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement