Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Camden in Wilcox County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church

 
 
Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
1. Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church Marker
The bushes that previously surrounded the marker have been cut very low.
Inscription.
This building was constructed c. 1849 as a Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
The Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian congregation was organized in September 1890 in the parlor of the William Joel Bonner home. There were twelve charter members. This building was purchased soon after.
Benjamin Meek Miller, Governor of Alabama 1931-35, was an original trustee and deacon.
In 1906 the structure was remodeled, with the front portico being enclosed and a new steeple added.
Erected 1988 in memory of the Rev. Renwick C. Kennedy, D. D. pastor of this congregation 1927-74

 
Erected 1988 by Alabama Historical Commission.
 
Location. 31° 59.672′ N, 87° 17.606′ W. Marker is in Camden, Alabama, in Wilcox County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (Alabama Route 28) and Fail Street, on the left when traveling north on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 Broad Street, Camden AL 36726, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camden (within shouting distance of this marker); Lieutenant Joseph Morgan Wilcox (within shouting distance of this
Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 27, 2013
2. Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church Marker
Older photo showing bushes covering parts of the marker.
marker); Wilcox Female Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Dead of Wilcox County (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Camden (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Postal Routes of 1820 (approx. 11.1 miles away); Prairie Mission (approx. 13.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
 
Also see . . .  Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church at Camden. Rural Southwest Alabama (Submitted on August 28, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 27, 2013
3. Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church Marker
Older photo showing different angle, with bushes surrounding the marker.
Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 27, 2013
4. Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church
Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church with marker on far left background. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
5. Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church with marker on far left background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 25, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   2, 3, 4. submitted on August 28, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   5. submitted on February 25, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement