Camden in Wilcox County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Founded on land donated to the Wilcox County Commission for a new county seat by Thomas Dunn and wife Martha Hobbs, Sept. 14, 1832. County seat moved from Canton in 1833. First called Wilcox Courthouse and later named Barboursville for Sen. Phillip P. Barbour of Va.
Erected 1982 by Camden Sesquicentennial Committee.
Location. 31° 59.694′ N, 87° 17.624′ W. Marker is in Camden, Alabama, in Wilcox County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (Alabama Route 28) and Fail Street, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street. Touch for map. In front of the Camden Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Broad Street, Camden AL 36726, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lieutenant Joseph Morgan Wilcox Wilcox Female Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Dead of Wilcox County (within shouting distance of this marker); Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Camden (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Postal Routes of 1820 (approx. 11.1 miles away); Prairie Mission (approx. 13 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 28, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.