Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
The Old Town Armory/Barracks
Simultaneous with the construction of the Innsbruck old town as a fortified city 1180-1204 under the Count of Andechs and the Duke of Merania, an inner- or city arsenal was constructed and from the 15th to the 18th Century (to 1780) was used as a barracks. The old barracks were thoroughly renovated in 1851-54, making way for newly constructed barracks, which in 1986-88, etc. was adapted as an administrative building.
Erected by Stadt Innsbruck (City of Innsbruck).
Location. 47° 16.084′ N, 11° 23.49′ E. Marker is in Innsbruck, Tyrol. Marker is at the intersection of Innrain and Herzog-Friedrich-Straße, on the left when traveling south on Innrain. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Innrain 1, Innsbruck, Tyrol 6020, Austria.
Other nearby markers. At least The Pecking- or Women’s Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); "Ottoburg" Castle (within shouting distance of this marker); The Inn River Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Government Building (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); "Golden Eagle" (about 90 meters away); Goethe Stayed Here (about 90 meters away); The Speech (about 90 meters away); Andreas Hofer (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Innsbruck.
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 433 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 28, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.