Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Birthplace of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod

 
 
Birthplace of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 27, 2013
1. Birthplace of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod Marker
Inscription. On Christmas Day 1847, a group of German-speaking settlers, mostly from Pennsylvania, met and founded the German Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Church of Granville Township. By June 1849, these settlers had built and dedicated a log church on a site just south of the West Granville Cemetery, eventually renaming the congregation Salem Lutheran Church. On December 8, 1849, three Lutheran pastors, John Muehlhaeuser of Grace Lutheran Church in Milwaukee, John Weinmann of St. John Lutheran Church in Oak Creek, and William Wrede of Salem Lutheran Church in Granville, met in the Grace Church hall and made plans to organize a new church body, the First German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Wisconsin. Muehlhaeuser was elected president, Weinmann secretary, and Wrede treasurer. Pastor Muehlhaeuser was entrusted with drawing up a constitution for the new synod.

The first synod convention was held at Salem Lutheran Church in Granville on May 26, 1850. Five pastors representing eighteen congregations met and adopted a constitution. This event marked the beginning of what is now the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, a Lutheran denomination that has become an international church body. Thus the Wisconsin Synod was conceived at Grace Lutheran Church in Milwaukee and born at Salem Lutheran Church in Granville.

Salem Lutheran
Birthplace of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 27, 2013
2. Birthplace of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod Marker
Church later divided along denominational lines. In 1860 the Reformed members founded what is now West Granville Presbyterian Church, located just to the north. In 1863 the Lutheran members constructed a Milwaukee cream brick church on this site. This historic church was used by the Salem congregation until 1977. Today the 1863 church is known as Salem Lutheran Landmark Church and Museum. It is one of the oldest church buildings in the city of Milwaukee and is a representative example of Italianate architecture. The church was designated a City of Milwaukee historic site in 1992.
 
Erected 2013 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 549.)
 
Location. 43° 8.512′ N, 88° 2.699′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on North 107th Street half a mile south of Fond DuLac Freeway (Wisconsin Highway 145), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6840 N. 107th St., Milwaukee WI 53224, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George L. Clarke House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Oak Hill Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Milwaukee County's First Airport
Birthplace of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 27, 2013
3. Birthplace of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod Marker
(approx. 4 miles away); Milwaukee Road Depot (approx. 4.6 miles away); School House (approx. 4.6 miles away); Brogan Cabin (approx. 4.6 miles away); Umhoefer House (approx. 4.6 miles away); Barn (approx. 4.6 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Date Stone above front door image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 27, 2013
4. Date Stone above front door
West Granville Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 29, 2013
5. West Granville Presbyterian Church
mentioned in marker text
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2013, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 345 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 29, 2013, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement