Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
 

Kolb Tower

Kolbenturm

 
 
Piston Tower Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 14, 2013
1. Piston Tower Marker
Inscription.
Wahrscheinlich bereits im 13. Jh. wie ein Torturm über die Schlossergasse erbaut, befand sich dieser Wohnturm der Familie Kolb mit den beiderseits anschliessenden Häusern von ca. 1450 bis 1582 in landesfürstlichem Besitz und fungierte 1563/82 als Hofspital. Seine heutige Gestalt mit Renaissance-Freskenschmuck erhielt der Turm 1582/85 unter Karl Schurf zu Schönwer und Mariastein, Erblandjägermeister von Tirol, der auch 1608 die Erhebung zum adeligen Ansitz “Karlsburg” erwirkte. An Karl Schurf erinnert sein prächtiger Wappenstein von 1585 rechts vom Hauseingang. Im 18. Jh, bzw. bis 1862 im Besitz der Grafen Sarnthein, gelangte der Ansitz 1902 in städtischen Besitz. Sein Südtrakt-an der Stadtmauer- wurde nach Bombenzerstörung 1955 wiederaufgebaut.


German-English translation:

This building probably stood here already in the 13th Century, built as a gate tower over the metal workers alley. Set amongst the adjoining houses, it served as a residential tower for the noble Kolb Family from about 1450 to 1582, and also served from 1563-82 as a hospital. The tower took on its present form in 1582-85, receiving Renaissance frescoes, under the ownership of Karl Schurf of Schönwer and Mariastein, the Gamekeeper of the Crown Hereditary Lands of Tyrol, who was elevated to the noble seat
Kolb Tower Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 14, 2013
2. Kolb Tower Marker
The marker is on the white tower to the left of the arch.
of "Karlsburg" in 1608. The superb stone Schurf coat of arms from 1585 is to the right of the entrance. Throughout the 18th Century, and until 1862 it belonged to the Counts Sarnthein, and then became property of the City in 1902. The WW II bomb damage on the tower's southern section, adjacent to the city wall, was rebuilt in 1955.

 
Erected by Stadt Innsbruck (City of Innsbruck).
 
Location. 47° 16.03′ N, 11° 23.574′ E. Marker is in Innsbruck, Tyrol. Marker is at the intersection of Kiebachgasse and Schlossergasse, on the left when traveling south on Kiebachgasse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Kiebachgasse 17, Innsbruck, Tyrol 6020, Austria.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gumpp House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Church of the Holy Spirit Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Magistrate Zeller's House (within shouting distance of this marker); Leopold Mozart (within shouting distance of this marker); First Office Building of the Tyrolean Provincial Assembly (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Trautson House
Plaque also at Kiebachgasse 17 image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 14, 2013
3. Plaque also at Kiebachgasse 17
Dieses haus wurde in den
Kriegsjahren 1939/45
Beschädigt
und aus fondsmitteln des Bundes-
minsteriums F. Handel U. Wiederaufbau
Im jahre 1958
unter dem Bundeskanzler
Ing. Julius Raab
Wiederhergestellt


German-English translation:

This house was damaged during the war years (1939-1945), and reconstructed in 1958 under Federal Chancellor Julius Raab using funds from the Federal Ministry for Trade and Reconstruction.
(about 90 meters away); The Pecking- or Women’s Gate (about 90 meters away); Lodron Palace (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Innsbruck.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 354 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement