Fort Monmouth in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
While serving as an assistant surgeon in the Army, he developed a simple visual signaling system which in 1860 was adopted by the Army. In 1860 Myer became the first signal officer with the rank of Major and when the Signal Corps was established in 1863 as a separate branch of the Army, he was promoted to Colonel. In 1865 he was brevetted a Brigadier General in recognition of his services during the Civil War.
Under his leadership the signal corps became an integral part of the Army and Congress recognized its efficiency and value by establishing the first United States Weather Bureau under its supervision.
The insignia of the Signal Corps--the flags and torch--were the first means of military communication employed by General Myer.
Albert James Myer
Chief Signal Officer of the Army
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 40° 18.57′ N, 74° 3.439′ W. Marker was in Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker was at the intersection of Touch for map. On the main post, near the 200 Building. Myer Park was located between Ritko and De Rum Avenues, roughly in the area of CECOM Headquarters today. Note: Ft. Monmouth is closed and access to the Post is restricted. Marker was in this post office area: Fort Monmouth NJ 07703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this location, measured as the crow flies. Eatontown, New Jersey Fire Department and World War II Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eatontown Grist Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battle of the Bulge Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Soldiers Park (approx. half a mile away); Van Kirk Park (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dunwoody Park (approx. 0.8 miles away); Christ Church (approx. one mile away); This Sycamore (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Monmouth.
More about this marker. Section III, General Orders Number 22, Headquarters Fort Monmouth, dated April 9, 1949, designated the triangular area east of Russell Hall (near the flagpole) and west of Oceanport Avenue as Myer Park. General Orders Number 48, dated 24 June 1961, “Designation of Cowan Park” later rescinded GO 22 and renamed that area Cowan Park. Myer Park relocated to the area around Building 1207.
Regarding Myer Park. On 3 March 1863, President Abraham Lincoln signed legislation making the Signal Corps a separate military branch. Major Myer was appointed as the first Chief Signal Officer with the rank of Colonel. He would continue to lead the Signal Corps for two and a half decades.
Categories. • Military • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2008, by Chrissie Tate Reilly of Fort Monmouth, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 911 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on April 2, 2008, by Chrissie Tate Reilly of Fort Monmouth, New Jersey. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2008, by Chrissie Tate Reilly of Fort Monmouth, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.