Carthage in Smith County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Smith County Courthouse Square
A Major Federal Base
At the northwest corner of the square is the historic Carthage City Cemetery, which contains the remains of both Confederate and Federal soldiers and officers. Confederate Col. John A. Fite is buried there, as are Union
(Inscription under the photo in the lower left)
The first courthouse was built in 1805. It was fifty feet square with four offices and a hall on the first floor and two offices and courtroom on the second floor. The present courthouse was built a few years after the Civil War and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower right)
Thirteen Civil War veterans gathered at the Smith County Courthouse in 1926. By this time, the number of Civil War survivors had dewindled to merely a handful. – Courtesy of Lecil McDonald, Smith County resident, WWII Veteran
Smith County Courthouse
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 36° 15.077′ N, 85° 57.142′ W. Marker is in Carthage, Tennessee, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and 2nd Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carthage TN 37030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Captain William Walton (a few steps from this marker); Benton McMillin (a few steps from this marker); Bragg Invades Kentucky (a few steps from this marker); Upper Ferry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rome Ferry (approx. 6.6 miles away); Civil War in Granville (approx. 8.8 miles away); Granville, Tennessee (approx. 8.8 miles away); Deford Baily (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carthage.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 384 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.