Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
St. James Cathedral
Dom zu St. Jakob
The present baroque cathedral parish was 1717-24 built according to plans by Johann Jakob Herkommer, with his characteristic dome choir. Since the founding of the old town (from 1180), several previous buildings have occupied this site, among them the patronal chapel of St. Apostle James the Elder, first mentioned in 1270. In 1643, an independent parish was formed here, whose church became known for having the famous with "Mariahilf" (Virgin Mary) painting - a revered image by Lucas Cranach the Elder (around 1537). Also here is the grave monument of the German Order's Grand Master Archduke Maximilian III. of Austria by Caspar Gras (1618).
Erected by Stadt Innsbruck (City of Innsbruck).
Location. 47° 16.162′ N, 11° 23.624′ E. Marker is in Innsbruck, Tyrol. Marker is at the intersection of Domplatz and Pfarrgasse, on the right when traveling north on Domplatz. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Innsbruck, Tyrol 6020, Austria.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marc Antonio Cesti (a few steps from this marker); Innsbruck's First School (within shouting distance of this marker); Precht House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Teutonic Order House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Golden Roof and New Courtyard (about 90 meters away); Bederlunger House (about 90 meters away); Jakob Hutter (about 90 meters away); Hölblinghaus (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Innsbruck.
Also see . . . Geschichte (History). The Diocese of Innsbruck presents a German-language history of the Cathedral. (Submitted on September 23, 2013.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 446 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.