Monona in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ernie's Trading Post
Erected by Monona Landmarks Commission.
Location. 43° 4.276′ N, 89° 19.962′ W. Marker is in Monona, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Winnequah Road and Midmoor Road, on the left when traveling west on Winnequah Road. Touch for map. This marker has been moved next to the Monona's Birthplace / Monona's History marker from a spot closer to 4500 Winnequah Road (Monona Motors, formerly Ernie's Trading Post). Marker is in this post office area: Madison WI 53716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Monona’s Birthplace / Monona's History (here, next to this marker); George Kalbfleisch, Jr. Farm House (approx. ¼ mile away); Springhaven Pagoda (approx. 0.3 The Dean House / Nathaniel Dean (approx. 0.4 miles away); Nathaniel Dean Farmhouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Otto Schroeder House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Boutell House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Bungalowen (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monona.
Also see . . .
1. Ernie's Trading Post. Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society. "The existence of Monona as a separate village originated in a little commercial building located on Winnequah Road. It was in the back room of that grocery store that talks began and plans developed to incorporate Monona as a village, seceding from Blooming Grove Township. Notice of meetings and elections and maps were posted for concerned citizens to study before voting in 1937. Built in 1925, originally intended as a garage, its first use was as a 'speakeasy' during the prohibition era. Ernie Ferchland purchased the land and building in 1932. Run as a full-time grocery store by Mr. and Mrs. Ferchland until 1952, it was then sold to Canteen Services for offices and storage. It is now converted to an auto repair service (Submitted on September 4, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
2. Andreas Ernst "Ernie" Ferchland. Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society Newsletter, 1/22/2013. "Andreas Ernst 'Ernie' Ferchland was born on Jan. 16, 1900 in Chicago. He came to Madison in 1907 and worked for the Kroger Grocery Co. for nine years before opening Ernie's Trading Post in May 1936. He lived at 4325 Winnequah Road. He also opened the first trailer camp in Madison area on the grounds of the store and rented out recreation rooms in the back of the store. He closed the store in 1957. He then became a Dane Co. deputy sheriff for 20 years and a deputy coroner for 10 years retiring in 1972. His first wife, Gladys, died, and in 1957, he married Grace Barbato Germono, whose first husband had also died. Ernie died on Oct. 24, 1990 and is buried in Roselawn Cemetery." (Submitted on September 4, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 385 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 4, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 6. submitted on September 14, 2013. • William J. Toman was the editor who published this page.