Near Decatur in Van Buren County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Hamilton Grange Hall / Hamilton Fair
Hamilton Grange Hall
Local farmers organized Hamilton Grange No. 355 in 1874 and built this hall the following year. Lacking a town center, area residents congregated at the hall, which hosted elections and rallies as well as school programs, church services, funerals, lectures, and parties. By 1897, No. 355 was among the largest granges in the state and hosted annual fairs on land adjacent to the hall. When the grange disbanded in 1977, this building became the Hamilton Township Hall.
The Hamilton Grange hosted the "Great Free Fair" annually from 1878 until around 1913 when the county fair began. Crowds of people came to hear speakers, watch horse races, attend picnics, and view exhibits at the fairgrounds just north of here. Farm families competed by displaying produce, livestock, bread, canned goods, floral arrangements, and needlework. In October 1905 over five thousand spectators from the Hamilton area came to hear Governor Fred Warner address the crowd.
Erected 2002 by Michigan Historical Commission and Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2111.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 84040 County Road 215, Decatur MI 49045, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Decatur Township Hall (approx. 3.9 miles away); Pickett's Corner (approx. 6.6 miles away); Sacred Heart of Mary Catholic Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); Van Buren County Poorhouse (approx. 7.7 miles away); Newton House (approx. 8.2 miles away); The Dowagiac River Watershed / Lunker Structures (approx. 8.4 miles away); Big Tree (approx. 8.4 miles away); First Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 9.4 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 5, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.