Stonington in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Battle of Stonington Monument
Here the Brave Men of Stonington
Defeated a Landing Force From
His Majesty’s ship “Ramillies”
Bent on Burning the Town and its Shipping
August 10, 1814
The Warden and Burgesses of the
Borough of Stonington
Deeded by U.S. Govt. 1932 Erected 1956
Erected 1956 by the Warden and Burgesses of the Borough of Stonington.
Location. 41° 19.64′ N, 71° 54.323′ W. Marker is in Stonington, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Omega Street, on the right when traveling south on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stonington CT 06378, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Defenders Of The Fort (approx. 0.3 miles away); Thomas Howe House (approx. half a mile away); Stonington Land Battery (approx. 0.6 miles away); John W. Richmond (approx. 1.1 miles away); Captain Nathaniel B. Palmer House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Stonington (approx. 2.3 miles Stonington Founders Monument (approx. 2.7 miles away); Wequetequock Burial Ground (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stonington.
Regarding Battle of Stonington Monument. During the War of 1812, between August 9 and 12, 1814, four British vessels, HMS Ramillies, HMS Pactolus, HMS Dispatch, and HMS Terror, under the command of Sir Thomas Hardy, appeared off Stonington harbor. The British demanded immediate surrender, but Stonington's citizens replied with a note that stated, "We shall defend the place to the last extremity; should it be destroyed, we shall perish in its ruins." The women and children fled inland, but the men stayed to defend their town.
For three days the Royal Navy pounded the town, but the only fatality was that of an elderly woman who was mortally ill. While many fires were started by shells and rockets, they were quickly put out and no buildings were destroyed. The townsmen located a supply of powder and shot, and using two cannons left from the Revolutionary War, fired back at the British ships. The British, after suffering significant damage with many dead and wounded, sailed off on 12 August.
Also see . . . The Defence of Stonington, by J. Hammond Trumbull, 1864 at Project Gutenberg. (Submitted on September 5, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.